De Volkskrant and the International Institute for Social History are looking for students who have written an outstanding thesis on a historical subject. Students of disciplines other than history are also cordially invited to apply for this award.
The IISH has a cash prize of € 1500 available for the winning thesis. De Volkskrant will publish an interview with the laureate.
Eligible are MA theses about a national or international historical subject that have been written between 1 August 2016 and 11 September 2017 and assessed at a Dutch university. In her assessment the jury will look at theses that have a clear innovative approach. This could be a new subject or an innovative approach to an already frequently researched topic. See for previous winners.
• The thesis must be submitted digitally as well as two hard copies
• The deadline is September 12, 2017
• The thesis must be accompanied by a brief recommendation of the teacher, either digital or as hard copy.
• The thesis may be written in Dutch or English.
• In the thesis the contact information (name, postal address, email address and telephone number) of the student and the teacher must be clearly stated
The ceremony will take place in Amsterdam in December 2017.
- Dr Jouke Turpijn, University of Amsterdam (Chair)
- Dr Dennis Bos, Leiden University
- Prof Dr Jan Hein Furnée, Radboud Universiteit
- Dr Filipa Ribeiro da Silva, International Institute of Social History
- Dr Anna Tijsseling, Universiteit Utrecht
- Prof. Dr Peer Vries, International Institute of Social History
The two hard copies of the thesis can be sent to:
International Institute of Social History
Attn: Jacqueline Rutte
P.O. Box 2169
1000 CD Amsterdam
Please send the digital copy to: jacqueline.rutt[at]bb.huc.knaw.nl
For more information, click here or please contact:
Aukje Lettinga, ale[at]iisg.nl, 020-6685866